Hi, Steve Rowlands here. HMRC had an outstanding night on Wednesday at the UK IT Industry Awards – finalists in 6 categories and winning 3. We know there’s still work to do to transform our IT services, but it is brilliant to have such external recognition of some of the huge strides we have made in the last few years, improving services to customers and to colleagues across the department.
We were shortlisted for IT Apprentice, IT Project Team, IT Manager and Young IT Professional, as well as Best Not for Profit and Best Digital Project.
Having set the scene here are the final results:
- Jo Connew won the IT Manager or the Year award, showing real dedication to growing and developing her teams to deliver high quality services
- Mike Murray was the winner of the IT Apprentice of the Year award, showing real enthusiasm to build his skills and help his team
- the Automation Delivery Centre came first in the IT Project Team category, demonstrating a real can do attitude and focus on helping staff across HMRC access customer information faster to provide an even better service to the public in our contact centres and drive down costs
- our Columbus Transformation Programme was awarded highly commended (runner up) in the Best Not for Profit Project, which successfully exited HMRC from its £10-billion Aspire IT contract in June this year.
Our other three finalists who were pipped at the post were:
- our SAP Virtualisation Project Team in the IT Project Team section, who have delivered one of the largest programmes of its kind in Europe and transformed how we use SAP services
- Alex Browne, whose team help secure our digital services and who was a strong contender for Young IT Professional
- our API Platform project, which is one of the driving forces behind Making Tax Digital for Businesses, in the Best Digital Project category.
The standard was very high this year, making the job of the judges a tough one. You can view all of the worthy winners on the UK IT Industry Awards website.
So, all in all, a great night for HMRC. It’s important to stop and reflect on what you’ve achieved, and to feel proud too – on at least one night in the year! Tomorrow, it’s on with the next delivery!
Steve Rowlands, Digital Operations
If you'd like to join our award winning team check out our current vacancies . They're updated regularly so worth keeping an eye on.
Now you can follow us on Twitter @HMRCdigital
And don't miss any of our blog posts by signing up for email alerts