The journey to digital tax accounts

This week at HMRC we are looking forward to our Annual Stakeholder Conference. The event is always a good opportunity for us to get feedback on our plans, from the people who use our services, and those that represent users too.

We're hearing the phrase 'making tax easier' more often - and we'll be talking about that on Thursday. One of the key things that we are doing as part of our digital transformation is bringing services and information together in one place - with our digital tax accounts. We will be setting out how we are further developing the business tax account, and how we will be making the new personal tax account available to 10 million of our customers.

Today I'm sharing the tax account roadmaps which set out the journey we are on to develop the tax accounts for our customers. You can click on the links below to view these and add your comments or questions below.

Business Tax Account Roadmap

Personal Tax Account roadmap

Mark

8 comments

1. Comment by Anna posted on

Hi

I have created my digital account but now going back to http://www.gov.uk/annual-tax-summary I am redirected to https://www.gov.uk/guidance/annual-tax-summary and unable to find any login. ??

Thanks

2. Comment by Louise Godfrey posted on

I have received my Annual Tax Summary and the letter states that I can access my own digital tax account to view my details online. I have typed the annual tax summary web address into Google and I cannot find any link anywhere for me to access my own, personal tax account. Please advise.

• Replies to Louise Godfrey>

Comment by Mark Dearnley posted on

Sorry for any confusion caused. From 30 November the Personal Tax Account (PTA) became available to more people so now you can try it using this link https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/personal-account/start.

When we designed our Annual Tax Summaries the PTA was still being developed with a limited number of customers. We didn’t have the links to the new service available at the time so we added a link to a 'coming soon' message.

3. Comment by Tony posted on

Hi Mark,
    The roadmap says the first "claim a refund iform" has been implemented already.

Which form is this?

Thanks

4. Comment by Jonathan posted on

Hi Mark

Thanks for this - does the business roadmap show the plan for redesigned, user-focused services or just access via Gov.uk?

For example, in submiting VAT returns, I note that the access point is now via Gov.uk, however it still goes through to the clunky government gateway website for the actual VAT submission (not sure if that's what "accessed via tax account (live" means?). If so, where's the progress in redesigning the digital service/user experience?

Thanks

Jonathan

• Replies to Jonathan>

Comment by katmckee posted on

Jonathan, thanks for your comment.

Your Tax Account is being built iteratively which means users will see gradual improvements and less interaction with the Government Gateway over time. We are adding more services and functionality as we develop the account and we'll prioritise the development by considering user and HMRC benefits.