Like a challenge? Have the skills? Want to join us?

I’m Mark Dearnley, and I’m HMRC’s Chief Digital and Information Officer. I’m responsible for leading HMRC’s ambitious plans to digitalise its business.

I'm delighted that we have just announced that we are opening our first Digital Delivery Centre in Newcastle. This is the beginning of our journey to transform online and digital services to make it simpler faster and more convenient for everyone to manage their tax affairs online.

To help me I am looking for 50 world-class technologists, apprentices and graduates, as well as people who have the skills and hands on experience to design, test and build amazing digital services for UK citizens.

Services that will rival private sector companies for ease of navigation and impact. Services that all allow our customers to connect with us quickly and manage their tax affairs at a time that suits them, using smart phones, tablets and laptops, as well as more traditional contact routes. Services that will put us at the cutting edge of digital development and data management.

HMRC has the one of the biggest data stores and processes a staggering 974 million customer transactions a year. If you are up for the challenge, have the skills and want to make a difference to one of the biggest transactional services in government find out more here.

Watch out for more about this and other exciting developments over the next few weeks.

19 comments

1. Comment by bug heroes 2 hack posted on

Hi there, just became aware of your blog through Google,
    and found that it is really informative. I am going to
    watch out for brussels. I'll be grateful if you continue this in future.

Many peple will be benefited from your writing.
    Cheers!

2. Comment by Barry Davison posted on

Hi Mark,
    I attended the first recruitment fair earlier this year and discussed whether the opportunities available at the time would fit my skill set as i currently work as a Solution Architect in the Utilities industry. I was encouraged to look at the Technical Architect job but felt it needed a level of exposure to the technologies in the job specification and decided not to apply.
    Unfortunately, i missed the second round of job applications in which the Solution Architect role was advertised which i feel would have closely matched my skills. Do you know if there will be any further recruitment phases for the position of Solution Architect and if so, when do you believe these would be advertised?

• Replies to Barry Davison>

Comment by Mark Dearnley posted on

Thanks for your query. The recruitment that we undertook produced a number of high quality candidates who have recently taken up roles with the digital delivery centre in Newcastle. We are anticipating a third round of recruitment which will include technical leads and solutions architects. We're hoping to launch this during the summer.

3. Comment by David T posted on

Thank you for responding!

4. Comment by David T posted on

Its really positive to see you engaged on this comment thread. I would love to apply for a role that your currently advertising on CW Jobs (here's the url) : http://www.cwjobs.co.uk/JobSearch/JobDetails.aspx?JobId=59124348&Keywords=HMRC

Note that the job ref is 59124348

The page at the url invites me to apply on the civil service job site. Here's that URL: https://www.civilservicejobs.service.gov.uk/csr/index.cgi

I've registered on this site (I'm not a Civil Servant, btw) and received a confirmation email (btw, this included my password in clear text, something of a serious issue). I cannot successfully search for the reference number of this vacancy - and I have reported a fault. I've had a response, but essentially it asked me to file a full bug reports with supporting evidence such as screenshots.

I've checked several of the vacancies your currently advertising on CW jobs and none of them are accessible via the Civil Service jobs web site.

This is profoundly frustrating - even though there's a rather obvious note of irony about the whole thing.

Can you suggest an alternative means of application?

• Replies to David T>

Comment by Mark Dearnley posted on

Thank you for the interest in the roles we have recently advertised. Unfortunately they are no longer accessible on the CS jobs website as the closing date for applications has passed. We have notified those websites still advertising the roles to ask them to withdraw the link.

Mark

5. Comment by Me posted on

In connection with job interviews, does HMRC pay travel expenses, etc.?

• Replies to Me>

Comment by Mark Dearnley posted on

Hi,

Unfortunately HMRC are unable to pay travel expenses for candidates.

Mark

6. Comment by Tom Devlin posted on

Disappointed to have only just read about this after the closing date: I've been following the work of the digital team for years now but a recent change in email address meant I missed the new post notification.

Are there likely to be any further opportunities coming up in DDC?

Best,

Tom

• Replies to Tom Devlin>

Comment by Mark Dearnley posted on

Hi Tom,
      Sorry you missed the chance to apply for this round of recruitment. There will be further opportunities within the Digital Delivery Centre which we hope to advertise in the very near future as we build our digital development team within Newcastle.

Mark

7. Comment by Liam Walsh posted on

This is very good news for an area that already has a thriving digital community. When you're up and running I'd love to share best practice between our ba.com operation up here in Newcastle and HMRC.

8. Comment by Richard Ogden posted on

Mark,

I am a technical recruitment consultant with over twenty years experience in the IT and Telecoms industry.

I have worked in Executive Search, Advertised Selection and run large recruitment campaigns for global businesses as an Internal Recruitment Specialist.

I live in Newcastle and wondered if you would like to recruit me, retain me or engage with me to assist your recruitment team.

• Replies to Richard Ogden>

Comment by Mark Dearnley posted on

Thank you for your kind offer and interest in the recruitment that we are running in Newcastle. Within the civil service we have a large resourcing function who manage recruitment for all Government Departments. We use this service to ensure we build up a knowledgable internal specialism. We can only procure external recruitment services using our exisiting Government call off contracts in certain situations. Unfortunately we are unable to contract with you individually in this case.

9. Comment by Danny posted on

How will you attract "world class technologists" with merely average salaries?

• Replies to Danny>

Comment by Mark Dearnley posted on

Danny,
      The salaries we offer are actually very competitive when benchmarked against the market rate in the North East of England. In addition to this, we offer a number of other benefits (pension, good quality work, training and experience) that we believe will make us very attractive to people who want to work on world class IT services that will be used by millions of people across the UK.

Mark

• Replies to Mark Dearnley>

Comment by David T posted on

Quoting a recent HMRC ad for a developer role in newcastle:

"Applicants should note that the starting salary for those who are offered a position is the pay band minimum for the role and we are unable to negotiate a starting salary".

I agree the work sounds great. But the salary is dreadful. The quote also sends quite a clear message, don't you think? You're competing with Sage, Scott Logic, Think and many other top notch software houses in Newcastle.

• Replies to David T>

Comment by Mark Dearnley posted on

Thank you for the feedback which we will take on board. We have undertaken benchmarking in terms of salary and the total reward package for HMRC is comparable with other organisation when working patterns, annual leave, pensions and employee benefits are taken into account. We are committed to working with the digital and IT community in the North East to share experience and talent and are confident that our offer will attract the talent to take forward our digital ambitions.
          Mark

10. Comment by Ayath Ullah posted on

Mark,

It's very refreshing to see HMRC moving in the right direction on the digital agenda.
    Could you confirm the following please:
    1) What grade will the apprentices be joining at?
    2) How many apprenticeship posts are there within the 50?
    3) What qualification will the apprentices be working towards?

Many thanks,
    Ayath

• Replies to Ayath Ullah>

Comment by Mark Dearnley posted on

1) HMRC uses a number of apprenticeship schemes; we have just placed several recent recruits (Higher Apprentices in Business Analysis) into the centre, they will work towards a Foundation Degree. These posts are all at ‘Officer’ level. Looking forward, we are now considering how we can develop an apprenticeship scheme around staff that can also join at Assistant officer level; we are at the very early stages of looking at how we can do this.
      2) As we were able to move some new apprentices in we have now decided to use the 50 posts to focus on experienced IT people. Our future recruitment plans, linked into the point above, will look to bring in apprentices.
      3) The existing schemes we use work towards a Foundation Degree – and we have recently taken on IT apprentices in Newcastle, Southend and Telford.

Mark